[protege-discussion] beanshell scripting in protege

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Thu Nov 13 09:02:34 PST 2008

Thomas is right in his response. You have to be careful as everything
is a Frame in Protege (classes and instances)
The API does make sense, as you say, and is predictable. Everything
that you can do with the GUI, you can do via the API.
To get or set a slot use something like using Python syntax (although
the API calls are as per Java:

// Get all the instances of a class (Cls in the API) called 'Class_Name'
anInstList = kb.getCls("Class_Name").getDirectInstances()

// For each instance in the list you can get values of slots, e.g.
slot called 'slot_name'
for anInstance in anInstList:
	aName = anInstance.getDirectOwnSlotValue(kb.getSlot("slot_name"))

the Direct in there makes sure that you get the instances of this
class / slot and not any subclasses or slot values of subclasses. You
may wish to use getOwnSlotValue() or getInstances() to also return all
subclasses or overridden slot values

To set the slot value:

// For a given Instance, with a String slot:
anInstance.setOwnSlotValue(kb.getSlot("slot_name"), "My new slot value")

Hope this helps.

I've got used to restarting Protege when my script fails. I find that
on some exceptions, the print() function stops working reliably.
Restarting Protege resolves it all, though.

Regards

Jonathan
Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Assess your EA maturity at: