[protege-discussion] Antwort: instances with multiple parents?

Nick Berry infoglutton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 10:52:00 PST 2008

Thanks for the response!

I could do that, but then the Garmin 605 would be the only Instance in that
class.  In addition, this kind of data modeling would spawn a profusion of
one-off categories like that.  Is that normal ontology design best practice?

Cheers,
Nick

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 10:43 AM, <daniel.keijsers at biotronik.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> you have to introduce a class "GPS_Bike_Computer" that has both Bike
> Computer and GPS Unit as superclasses.
> Garmin 605 will then be an instance of "GPS_Bike_Computer".
> Does that fit?
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> Kind regards,
>
> i. A. Daniel Keijsers
> Therapy Manager
>
> --
> BIOTRONIK GmbH & Co. KG
> Woermannkehre 1
> 12359 Berlin, Germany
> Tel.: +49 (0) 30 68905-2418
> Fax: +49 (0) 30 68905-2940
> Mail: daniel.keijsers at biotronik.com
>

>  *"Nick Berry" <infoglutton at gmail.com>*
> Gesendet von: protege-discussion-bounces at lists.stanford.edu
>
> 17.11.2008 19:38
>  Bitte antworten an
> User support for Core Protege and the Protege-Frames editor <
> protege-discussion at lists.stanford.edu>
>
>   An
> protege-discussion at lists.stanford.edu  Kopie
>   Thema
> [protege-discussion] instances with multiple parents?
>

> Hi, I don't see a way to provide an Instance with more than one parent
> Class, but my data model seems to need this feature.
>
> For example, the Garmin 605 is both a Bike Computer and a GPS Unit.  On my
> website, I want my users to be able to navigate to the Garmin 605 from
> either of two ways:
>
> Cycling>Bike Parts>Bike Computers>Garmin 605
>
> and
>
> Electronics>Navigation>GPS Units>Garmin 605
>
> Where Bike Computers, GPS Units, etc up the tree are all Classes, and the
> Garmin 605 is an Instance.
>
> Or should I just make the Garmin 605 a Class, and it can then have multiple
> parents?  In that case, I'd have to make all the products Classes, and that
> just seems weird.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick_______________________________________________

> *
> **www.biotronik.com* <http://www.biotronik.com/>
>
>  ------------------------------
>
> BIOTRONIK GmbH & Co. KG
> Woermannkehre 1, 12359 Berlin, Germany
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Berlin HRA 6501
>
> Vertreten durch ihre Komplementaerin:
> BIOTRONIK Mess- und Therapiegeraete GmbH
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Berlin HRB 2918
> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Dr. Max Schaldach, Christoph Boehmer, Dr. Werner Braun,
> Dr. Lothar Krings

> This email and the information it contains including attachments are
> confidential and meant
> only for use by the intended recipient(s); disclosure or copying is
> strictly prohibited. If you
> are not addressed, but in the possession of this email, please notify the
> sender immediately.

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."
-- Mullah Nasreddin, Sufi sage/fool, 13th cent.