[protege-discussion] slots

Simon White swhite at catalysoft.com
Mon Nov 17 11:43:51 PST 2008

Hi Jason,

Yes, as Csongor mentioned I have developed a slot widget plugin for Protege
Frames that provides support for engineering units. I also have a slot
plugin to support Dates. You create a  slot of type String and assign the
Date slot widget to it. This plugin ensures that the date is stored in a
consistent format (e.g. for machine reading) and allows you to pick a date
from a drop-down date picker component.

For slots that need engineering units support, you use a different
meta-class (a subclass of :STANDARD-SLOT) and this allows you to choose a
new slot widget in forms so that the associated units are displayed.

The plugin supports conversion between units, setting default units (for
example SI units) and remembering your chosen units.

You can convert only between units of the same 'Dimension' (a.k.a
'Quantity'). For example you can convert between millimetres and inches
because they are both lengths, but not between millimetres and kilograms.
When you create a slot, you specify its dimension, so that only meaningful
conversions are offered.

There is also a more advanced concept called a unit group that allows you to
group together units from different dimensions. For example, you sometimes
might want to specify an amount of something either by weight or by volume.
Lastly, the approach is extensible - I have provided a units framework, but
you can populate it with your own units if I have not provided the ones you
need.

Simon White

www.catalysoft.com

PS. The widgets have not been tested with the latest versions of Protege,
but I can check compatibility and fix any bugs if there is sufficient
interest