[protege-discussion] unique IDs?

Nick Berry infoglutton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 15:55:16 PST 2008

If I have a class named "foo" with some instances assigned to it and I
export the data into an XML file and then tomorrow I rename the class "bar"
with the same instances assigned to it how does the consumer of the XML data
determine that "foo" and "bar" are the same class for the purposes of
resolving external references to that class which have been established
outside of Protege?
Thanks,
Nick

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Csongor Nyulas <csongor.nyulas at stanford.edu
> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Class names must be unique in any case. I don't know exactly what is
> your scenario, but if you already have classes in Protege (which you try
> to export), they must have unique class names. If this information does
> not help you, please describe in more detail what are you trying to do.
>
> Csongor
>

> Nick Berry wrote:
> > How can I uniquely identify a class in the Protege XML output?  Can I
> > computationally (automatically) assign unique IDs to every class, so
> > if I rename a class the (receiving) database knows what that class
> > used to be called?
> >
> > Thanks, Nick

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."
-- Mullah Nasreddin, Sufi sage/fool, 13th cent.