[protege-discussion] unique IDs?

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Tue Nov 18 16:14:42 PST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 3:55 PM, Nick Berry wrote:

Assuming Protégé frames.

> If I have a class named "foo" with some instances assigned to it and
> I export the data into an XML file and then tomorrow I rename the
> class "bar" with the same instances assigned to it how does the
> consumer of the XML data determine that "foo" and "bar" are the same
> class for the purposes of resolving external references to that
> class which have been established outside of Protege?

You could take the approach taken by the Gene ontology folks and
assign a unique ID via a special "guid" own slot on the class.

There isn't any built-in method that will automatically assign such a
slot a unique ID, but you could always build some type of widget or
plug-in that would do this for you.  Perhaps the simplest would be to
create a project plugin and have the beforeSave method make sure that
there is a unique ID assigned to each class.  For any new classes, a
new ID would be generated, and then you just need to make sure you
never change it.