[protege-discussion] protege server with netkernel

jeff.rogers at thomsonreuters.com jeff.rogers at thomsonreuters.com
Wed Nov 19 14:52:03 PST 2008

Has anyone tried to use NetKernel (http://www.1060.org) to access a
protege server and export knowledge trees?  We have a design mostly
working, but there are some unanswered questions that the docs do not
address very well.

One issue is performance - we have several thousand instances of a
particular class (it's a nodetree with parent/child relationships), and
when we try to load up all the instances there is a considerable delay
(as much as several minutes).  This affects the frames editor as well.
The problem may well be in our class design, but I'm not sure how else
to go about it.

Another item is getting updates.  There are various listeners indicated
in the javadoc, but not much is said about them.  Are there any examples
of their use?

Is is possible to connect to the server using just protege.jar, or do
the ui jars need to be around also, even if I'm running headless?

Lastly, there is a Query interface and an executeQuery method, but I can
find nothing on how to use those.  Again, are there any examples?

Thanks
-Jeff