[protege-discussion] How to recover slot values?

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Wed Oct 1 01:52:33 PDT 2008

Hi Emmanuel,

Try something like this:

aSlotValue = anInstance.getDirectOwnSlotValue(kb.getSlot("slot_name"))

The argument for the kb.getSlot() method is a string which is the name
of the slot you want to get the value of.

As you can see from the code snippet, you need to get a reference to
the specific instance. It might be that you need to get all the
Instances of a class and then iterate through them (this is Python
[Jython] code from a script but you can see the method calls that you
need to make - the Jython script calls the Java API), for example:

anInstanceList = kb.getCls("My_Class").getDirectInstances()

for anInstance in anInstanceList:
	aSlotValue = anInstance.getDirectOwnSlotValue(kb.getSlot("slot_name"))

The methods that have the word 'Direct' in them just return Instances
or values of the specific class - which is normally what I want. You
can, however, use similar methods that have not got 'Direct' in their
name and they generally give you back things for the class that you
specified AND subclasses.

Have a look at the Javadoc, http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/pdk/api/index.html
  and look at the Cls, Instance and Slot classes.

Hope this helps

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Assess your EA maturity at: