[protege-discussion] Web-Protege: A Lightweight OWL Ontology Editor for the Web

Riccardo.Grosso at csi.it Riccardo.Grosso at csi.it
Wed Oct 1 07:19:17 PDT 2008

Dear Tania and Jennifer,

it is possible to obtain a trial version of Web-Protege, about your
accepted paper at:

        http://webont.org/owled/2008/accepted-papers.html

?

Thanks and best regards.

Riccardo.

Tania Tudorache <tudorache at stanford.edu>
Inviato da: protege-owl-bounces at lists.stanford.edu
07/08/2008 00.31
Per favore, rispondere a
User support for the Protege-OWL editor <protege-owl at lists.stanford.edu>

Per

CC
Pellet Users List <pellet-users at lists.owldl.com>, User support for the
Protege-OWL editor <protege-owl at lists.stanford.edu>
Oggetto
Re: [protege-owl] [Pellet-users] Starting with ProtegeOwl Classes

Hi Joseph,

I think your questions are more related to Protege-OWL than Pellet. I
think we should continue the discussion on the Protege-OWL mailing list.
I've added it into the cc.

http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/api/ReasonerAPIExamples.html>
>     and others than Tania recommended online.

The link you gave is the old reasoner API. I suppose you meant this one:
I suppose you mean this one:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/ProtegeReasonerAPI

>     A couple of problems that I ran into:
>     - Converting from a JenaOwlModel into an OntModel is a one-way
>     process. The OntModel, which can execute Pellet, needs to load the
>     namespaces *again* and it uses the URLs provided, not the
>     local-file references. I don't want to rework all the existing
>     code into Jena just yet.

I don't know what you mean here.. When invoking the direct connection to
Pellet, the Protege OWL internal model is converted either to a Jena
model that uses the Pellet reasoner, or to an OWL-API model.  (Default
in the UI is OWL-API).

> I don't know why reloading is required but normally if you have a Jena
> model you can create a Pellet-backed model by doing
>
> OntModel pelletModel = ModelFactory.createOntologyModel(
> PelletReasonerFactory.THE_SPEC, originalModel );
>
> If there are SWRL rules in the model, Pellet will automatically
> recognize and reason with them. There are examples in the Pellet
> distribution with more examples.
>

>     - Running the documented ProtegePellet class worked great for
>     class-level inference, however I didn't see it run the SWRL that
>     is in the OWL Model.
>

> I don't know if Protege translates SWRL rules into the Jena OntModel.
> But one problem that might occur is when you use the SWRL builtins
> supported by the SWRLTab of Protege. Pellet does not support those
> built-in extensions and would ignore rules that contain any
> unsupported built-in (and log a warning message about it).

The Jena implementation of the Protege-OWL reasoner
(ProtegePelletJenaReasoner) will convert all the SWRL rules and they are
sent to Pellet. So you will get in the OWL Model all the SWRL related
inferences. As Evren said, if you are using custom built-ins from the
SWRL library, Pellet does not ||support those, and they will not be
executed.

The default direct connection to Pellet available in Protege 3.4 is the
OWL-API implementation (ProtegePelletOWLAPIReasoner), that does not
convert the SWRL rules. So, make sure that you are using in your code
the ProtegePelletJenaReasoner, rather than the
ProtegePelletOWLAPIReasoner. We already have the code for the latter one
but it is not included in the distribution.

If you would like to continue this thread, please do so on the
Protege-OWL mailing list.

Thanks,
Tania*||*

> Cheers,
> Evren
>

>     I've had problems with Protégé 3.4b120 and 3.4b504 about executing
>     SWRLs in the Protégé UI - those were posted to the Protégé mail
list.

>     -Joseph

Protege
mailto:Pellet-users at lists.owldl.com>