[protege-discussion] getInstance returns null

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Thu Oct 2 11:14:27 PDT 2008

Hi Avi,

I have done this and use it for a slot widget I wrote that generates strings based on a pattern and the values of other slots of the Instance. However, I am reading the Browser Text from the slots on the form to get the strings.

I had issues with getting nulls for the slots and that happens if the FormWidget that your slot widget hasn't finished initialising. What this means is that your slot widget tries to read from other slots that haven't been instantiated yet. So, to get around this, I just had to test for and deal with NULL values. Once the form has finished being instantiated, everything is fine.

You can work back from your slot widget to the other slot widgets through the form widget that is the parent of your slot widget.

To get a reference to the Instance of a slot widget, use the ClsWidget:
// assume you have a Slot variable called aSourceSlot
ClsWidget aClswidget = getClsWidget();
SlotWidget aSlotwidget = aClswidget.getSlotWidget(aSourceSlot);
Instance aSlotWidgetInstance = aSlotWidget.getInstance();

And that gets you the instance you need assuming you have a Slot object to identify which widget you want. Note the comment about nulls above. In my real code, this snippet tests for null after each get...() Call to avoid possible null pointer exception.

Hope this helps

Jonathan

Jonathan Carter
Enterprise Architecture Solutions