[protege-discussion] Ontology

Ashik Chandra achandra at usgs.gov
Tue Oct 14 10:12:06 PDT 2008

Thank you!

Regards,

Ashik

Csongor Nyulas <csongor.nyulas at stanford.edu>
Sent by: protege-discussion-bounces at lists.stanford.edu
10/10/2008 07:11 PM
Please respond to
User support for Core Protege and the Protege-Frames editor
<protege-discussion at lists.stanford.edu>

User support for Core Protege and the Protege-Frames editor
<protege-discussion at mailman.stanford.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [protege-discussion] Ontology

Hi Aashique,

The answer to your question is: depends on your problem.

Using ontologies can be useful in many domains, but you have to
understand that using an ontology just for the sake of it does not make
too much sense. After you understand what ontologies are and what is
your problem you try to solve, you can investigate whether or not
ontologies can be useful for you.
If you know nothing or very little about ontologies maybe you should
start with reading the wikipedia entry on this topic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontology_(computer_science)
and following the pointers of interest from there. The following article
is also very good:
http://protege.stanford.edu/publications/ontology_development/ontology101-noy-mcguinness.html

If you are in doubt how to apply ontologies by using Protege, you can
find very good help in the Protege website's documentation section:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users.html

I hope this helps,
Csongor

Aashique wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Would somebody please explain to me How to apply ontology once it is
> created?  I just started working in this field and would appreciate
help.

> Thanks,
>
> Aashique

Instructions for unsubscribing: