[protege-discussion] A-Box consistency check

Yi Qiang yi_qiang at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 03:04:08 PDT 2008

Dear sir or madam,

I have some question in "transitive property" and "irreflexive property".  I give a example:

With protege 4, I define a class "Country", and a property "isLargerThan" which is transitive and irreflexive.

Now, I define 3 individuals. Russia, USA and UK. They are in the relation:

Russia isLargerThan USA
USA isLargerThan UK
UK isLargerThan Russia

These assertations are inconsistent because:
Given
Russia isLargerThan USA
USA isLargerThan UK
=> Russia isLargerThan UK

Then given,
UK isLargerThan Russia
Russia isLargerThan UK
=> UK isLargerThan UK
Because we've defined isLargerThan is irreflexive, these assertaions are not consistent.

How can I check this kind of inconsistency? In protege 4, if I define isLargerThan is both transitive and irreflexive, pellet report exception.
Is it possible to define a property both transitive and irreflexive?  If it is possible, can any reasoners check this inconsistency in a-box?

Kind regards

Yi Qiang