[protege-discussion] Re quest for help with Protege FUNCTIONS

Safran, Tracy (NIH/NCI) [C] safrant at mail.nih.gov
Fri Oct 17 09:51:33 PDT 2008

At NCI, ontologies are used for interoperability of different systems across a grid.  The different systems agree to use a common ontology to allow data to be exchanged freely between the systems.

https://cabig.nci.nih.gov/overview/cabig-primer/html/primer.html

I have also heard on ontologies being used to support searches of documents or web pages, looking for synonyms and such.  Person searches for "cat", the search app looks at the ontology and finds synonyms such as "feline" and possibly subconcepts like "kitten".  It then does the search using all of these terms.

Tracy M. Safran
Contractor - SAIC Frederick
EVS support
301-402-1537