[protege-discussion] Protege on Linux server without graphical interface

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Sat Oct 25 04:03:23 PDT 2008

Hi Katja,

I've been running Protege 3.4 as a server for about a year now on a
windows server and this runs without the GUI in what it calls
"headless mode". So, it's definitely possible. I do "manage" some
changes, e.g. to forms, by stopping the server and running Protege in
stand-alone mode.
However, to do backups, I simply get the database to run scheduled
backups and I have some scripts that run automatically to copy
the .PPRJ file as a backup.
Backing up the database - just set up a scheduled MySQL backup - will
cover your ontology in terms of both the Instances and the Classes.
So, any changes made by the Protege clients will be covered by the
database backups.
To make sure that any changes you make to the Forms are not lost, you
need to backup the .PPRJ file.
That will do it.

Hope this helps - let me know if I've missed something

Regards

Jonathan
Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Assess your EA maturity at: