[protege-discussion] UMLS TAB_problems

Jennifer Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 29 17:11:42 PDT 2008

GEORGE LITSIOS wrote:
> So the problem with approximate matching i thing that will not be
> solve, right?

Not necessarily.  I posted a question on the umls-users mailing list and
got this response from them:

"Due to resource restrictions and an issue with the release of software
we were using for this function, this method of searching had to be
disabled in the current release. We are planning a release for
mid-November in which this functionality will be re-released and made
available through the API. We will issue an announcement when the system
will be down and what functions/features were re-enabled or added to the
release. Sorry for the inconvenience."

So, it seems that in mid-November this functionality will be
re-enabled.  At this point, the only thing to do is wait for the release
of their new software and see if this starts working again.

> Also, for the second question, why not inserting the slots of umls, i
> found that if i start the project as "frames" then it works. I started
> the project as "owl/rdf" and for this reason it didn't worked.  I
> guess there is no way to work with "owl/rdf".

Yes, as I mentioned in my last post, this plug-in was developed before
Protege even had support for OWL.  So, it is not surprising that it does
not work.  However, you can develop your project in Frames and then
convert it to OWL.

> Can you tell me if i start the project as "frames", if i will
> encounter any problem, if i convert it in owl with protege converter?

This should work.  If you have any problems, post them on the
protege-owl mailing list.

> Can you also explain me the usefulness of "KB_ROOT"?

I never met and/or talked to the author of this plug-in.  I imagine it
was simply a design decision on his part to set up a pre-configured
class with template slots attached that hold the various types of data
you can pull in from the UMLS.

Jennifer