[protege-discussion] Mapping ontologies

Fieran Mason-Blakley fieranmason at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 14:43:36 PDT 2008

Hello All,
I'm brand new at this and so this might seem a bit absurd but here it goes
anyway.  I am trying to use Protege to map two medical ontologies together
as a first step in developing some proposed communication standards.

My problem is this -
The owl ontologies that I am starting with modeled items differently.  Yes
beautifully recursive I know.

I am starting with the simple stuff - datatypes.

One elected to represent each datatype as a class and the other declared a
datatype class and named created a bunch of individuals in that class.

Since there is an incongruency between the type of elements I am dealing
with I can't use the "same as" feature that would be available for two
classes.

How can I convert the individuals to classes in Protege 4?

I have probably missed something simple, but as I have been scouring the web
for an answer for a while now and come up empty I am now appealing to the
list.

Fieran