[protege-discussion] Beginners list?

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Fri Oct 31 03:16:56 PDT 2008

Hi Fieran,

I've spent some time looking at Prompt - which is a powerful tab.
I did find that I had to do quite a bit of trial and error to
understand what was going on. However, the documentation, although
based on a previous version, is relevant and helps give you the basics
for how to approach Prompt.
The thing that really came clear to me is that there are different
options in Prompt for tackling different problems when working with
ontologies. In the end, the DIFF option was what I needed to clearly
see the difference between 2 projects with the really nice feature of
being able to selectively move things from one project to another,
classes and instances. All graphical and very nice.
For what I was trying to achieve, the project merging options were not
quite doing what I wanted. Depending on the size of the projects you
are working with, Prompt takes a while (and a lot of resource) to run.
It's performing some complex activities for you.

I'd recommend starting with the DIFF option to analyse your projects
and from there you can think about whether merging is going to work,
for example, with Prompt.

Having another look at the problem that you're working with it's not a
straight forward mapping in Prompt to take classes and convert them
into instances and vice versa.
One approach worth considering is that used in some application
integration scenarios, and define some intermediary ontology to which
you can map each of the ontologies, rather than directly mapping them
to each other.

However, the fact that the ontologies have taken very different
approaches to defining the meta model (one says class, one says
instance), I think may still cause problems with an intermediary
ontology using Prompt. If you can clearly define the mapping though,
e.g. on paper, so that you accurately understand how these ontologies
map, then you use the script tab to programmatically morph, e.g.
classes of one into instances of the other. I use this sort of
approach quite a lot for doing things like importing information into
my ontology from external data sources.

Hope this helps.
Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Assess your EA maturity at: