[protege-discussion] Protege 3.3.1 - PROMPT plugin - Mac OSX 10.5

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Fri Oct 31 15:42:41 PDT 2008

On Oct 31, 2008, at 2:36 PM, Fieran Mason-Blakley wrote:

> I am having major performance problems with a very simple ontology.
> There can't be more than about 50 elements in either all told -
> Entities and Instances that is.  When I say major I mean it is
> taking 20 seconds to do a user mapping between two elements and
> after running through that because no suggestions showed up as the
> documentation suggested, it has slowed to the point where I think it
> is unlikely I'll be able to save my work.  Knowing how popular this
> product is I have a hard time believing that I have it configured
> correctly.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated

IIRC the Mac application version of Protege for version 3.3.1 comes
out of the box with a very small maximum memory allocation.  This
causes severe performance issues for Java, since time is spent mostly
in the garbage collector.

You can see if this is the problem by looking at the VM options for
the applications.

Here's how to do it:

1.  Select the Protege Application.
2.  Right Click (Control-Click) and select "Show Package Contents"
3.  Open the "Contents" folder.
4.  Double-click on "Info.plist".  It will open in the Property List
Editor
5.  Expand the "Java" item in the window.
6.  Expand the "VMOptions" subitem.
7.  Check the value of the "-Xmx..." item.
8.  Make sure the number is some reasonable amount, like "-Xmx512M" or
more.
     Edit the value if necessary to make it bigger. (Double click and
change the number).

If there is no item like that under VMOptions, then you will have to
add it:
a.  Select "VMOptions"
b.  Click the "Add Child" button at the top of the editor window
c.  Type "-Xmx512M" (without the quotes) into the box.  You might
choose a higher number as well.