[protege-discussion] Create java beans from Protege

Csongor Nyulas csongor.nyulas at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 15 17:44:29 PDT 2008

Hi John,

The code generated by the Protege OWL Java Code Generator is "Java
bean-like", i.e. although it does not treat boolean datatype properties
specially, creating isProperty() methods, it will create getProperty and
setProperty() methods for all properties, including for boolean datatype
properties.
For example, if your class X has 3 properties associated through
restrictions, let's say isRound (of type boolean), floatValue (of type
float), hasSrtingValue (of type String), then the code generator will
indeed create the methods:
setIsRound()
getIsRound()
setFloatValue()
getFloatValue()
setHasStringValue()
getHasStringValue()

Please be aware that the above functions take/return values of the
specified types of the datatype properties if and only if the above
properties are declared _functional_. Otherwise they take as argument
resp. return a collection of boolean/float/String values.

In order the generated API to offer a more complete set of accessing
functions to the underlying ontological model there are also some other
convenience methods generated for each property, like the method
hasProperty(), and for non-functional properties also addProperty(),
removeProperty() and listProperty(). In the current implemention there
is no option for disabling the generation of these additional methods,
and I would recommend to simply ignore them. If this is not possible in
your case you can change the Protege OWL Java Code Generator (available
in the SVN repository of the Protege
http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/svn/owl/trunk/src/edu/stanford/smi/protegex/owl/javacode/)
to generate only the methods that you need.

I hope this helps,
Csongor