[protege-discussion] updating data model

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Fri Sep 19 02:28:42 PDT 2008

Hi Josette,

To some extent, it depends on how much change / refinement you expect
to do once you've branched off.
It it definitely worth having a look at the Prompt Tab in Protege,
focussing on the "diff" option. This provides a detailed report of the
difference between the frozen model and your branch. From the results
- which covers both Classes and Instances - you can choose which
differences to carry over and which to reject.

I think that this would work quite well as long as the frozen and
refined model are still strongly related. That is, your changes are
truly refinements and updates to the frozen model. Where I had trouble
was with the concept of merging in lots of changes from a branched
meta model (Classes) and a separate set of instances in the model - it
got too complex to manage - I had too many changes / possible clashes
in the Instances, basically (hundreds+ Instances) to bring across.
More a problem with the nature of my models, I think.

So, what I've been doing is to baseline my model (Class and Instances)
and then I've been using the Protege Script Tab to introduce
"packages" of changes to both the Classes and Instances, using Python
scripts. This is great for large numbers of changes and where I need
to be able to consistently (and sometimes 'intelligently') apply the
update to many instances of my model (I have several Protege models to
look after).

Having said all that, it sounds like - from what you've said - the
Prompt Tab approach would suit your needs best. Let your users
continue to use the data model that you currently have. Do a File-
 >Save As on the Project and create your branch project. You continue
to work on the refined model and plan to have regular review of the
differences between the stable and the branch projects - taking
changes across to the stable instance as appropriate.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd