[protege-discussion] An Ontology Model For any Organization

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Wed Apr 1 12:33:50 PDT 2009

I agree with Leslie about the basic classes and relations required.

I have an ontology that includes easy-to-use constructs for capturing both the design and actual structure of any organization. It's part of an overall ontology for caputuring the enterprise architecture but for your requirements, you could concentrate on 2 main parts in what we call the Business Layer. You can download it from The Essential Project at http://www.enterprise-architecture.org

In here, we have a Business Role class that is used to capture the logical design of the organisation in terms of roles that have relationships such as 'reports-to' or containment (for teams/groups). Then, at the physical view, we have Actors which capture the actual teams, groups and individuals. Again these have relationships between each other for reporting structures and containment to define teams. Actors have relationships to Roles in particular in the context of performing processes.
We have just used rhe simple forms rather than the Graph widget which makes it very easy to manage a complex organisation. You just focus on each Role / Actor and it's immediate connections and the Protege project takes care of the overall complexity.

As I said - it's freely available to download (http://www.enterprise-architecture.org) and have a look at. I'd be very interested in your thoughts on it and in particular if there are things that we've missed.

Regards

Jonathan

Jonathan Carter,  Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd.  -  Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device