[protege-discussion] An Ontology Model For any Organization

Mehdi Amani mehdi_amani at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 1 14:01:11 PDT 2009

Dear Leslie,
Let me first Thank you for such a good answer. I will be more than happy if you can help me out. from the couple of points that you have just mentioned it shows you have quite an expereice.
OK! Let me define my problem I have been programming for a long long time. I am 48 years old I have my PhD in AI & I think I have been around the computers for more than 32 years.
What I am trying to do is to acheive a relatively  simple " Orgonizational Knowledge " by the use of Divide & Conqure. I have developed a real fast & generic search engine that is capable of semantically deviding the search output into clusters of really close enough meaning of documents.
Now Assume instead of having emolpyee to employee supervision relation, I will have a Departmental Organizational Chart & all you just said could be applied to these departments. Now Imagine that I have a Heirarchical Repository structure for departements as well. I have built up a lot of other tools as well to help me separate conflicting Issues that might happen inside a search engine when it is trying to semantically group the result. An example would be something like an "ATOM", does it belong to Chemistery, Physics or Even LISP programming language?
Other problems that could be solved this way is exactly the points you had.

Now let me ask you a question "What is exactly different from One Organization to Another?" except thier Buisness or "GOAL" or "VISION" & the Methods they acheive them.
All orgs do have  a set of Depts, Divisions ... All Orgs Have Employess & thier relations, All Orgs do have Human resources, Payments, Insurance & .... and ofcourse a BPMS & so on.

What I was wondering is that has anyone looked at an organization from such a point of view so once done with some Refinement I could have an ontology for a university to a lets say that newspaper example of protege?
I am not looking for a way out, But I do not want to start from scratch anytime I want to define an Organization!!!!! Lets say 30% of the modelling the ones you & I said alltoghter is done?
Does this seem to be asking for too much?

Any Help Would be greatly appreciate it, with this economy I do not have enough resource to continue. So Basically I am too old for these type of jobs & I need to conenterate as much as I can On my part of the job!!!!

Sincerely Yours
Mehdi Amani