[protege-discussion] FW: Jess rules from Protege OWL

Igor Bessmertny igor_bessmertny at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 3 05:53:13 PDT 2009

Hello, all,
I have installed Protege OWL Editor 3.4. and added Jess 7.1p2‏.

I successfully activated the SWRL Jess Tab in Protege; rules and axioms import to Jess as well.

Though, when I test Jess inference engine by a canonical examlpe like this

Person(?y)  ∧  hasChild(?y, ?x)  ∧  hasChild(?y, ?z)  ∧  differentFrom(?x, ?z) → hasSibling(?x, ?z),

the inference gives no results. If I remove 'differentFrom' predicate, the rule works. Certainly it returns some extra axioms like
hasSibling(A,A).

I conclude that restriction 'differentFrom' does not work despite is importing without error messages.

I asked Jess developers, but they cannot help because I could not show them imported rules in Jess format.
Could you please clarify, what my problem is?
And how can I see imported class, axioms and rules in Jess format?

Sincerely yours,
Igor Bessmertny
Associate Professor
Computer Science Department
Saint Petersburg State University of Information Technology, Mechanics and Optics
Saint Petersburg, Russia