[protege-discussion] Questions concernign the Changes Plug-in

Simon Paradies simon.paradies.ext at siemens.com
Wed Apr 22 08:15:00 PDT 2009

Hi Tania,

Tania Tudorache <tudorache <at> stanford.edu> writes:

> Hi Simon,
>
> Yes, you can do both. You have full access to the annotations through
> the CHAO API.
>
> Take a look here:
> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/ChAO_API
>
> For cloning the annotation, you can use  the copy method from the Frame
> interface. (It works for the RDF backend and frames)
>
> Orphaned annotations are usually the top-level annotations that apply to
> the entire ontology rather than to a particular entity. They show up in
> the Ontology notes tab.
>
> Tania

Actually, what I want to make sure is that
1. certain annotations that belong to a certain instance are also cloned when
the user makes a copy of that instance using the GUI.
2. annotations of removed instances are also removed when the user deletes the
instance using the GUI.

My problem with your suggestions is that my code is not aware of user/gui
triggered instance cloning events. Possibly, some kind of listener would be
useful here but I haven't found any. Any hints to solve this issue?
What I meant with orphaned annotations are annotations that are left in the
annotation ontology when their corresponding entitiy (in the actual ontology)
is deleted by any means. Is there a way to either have it deleted upon entitiy
deletion or pruned some time afterwards?

Thanks
Simon