[protege-discussion] Protege-web question

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 12 13:09:32 PDT 2009

Hi Avi,

As you have probably read, WebProtege is intended to be highly
customizable. We are trying to get there, but there is still work to be
done. So please bear with us :)

There are many things that you can configure right now. For example,
which tabs to load and which portlets for a certain project is
controlled by the project configuration file, that you can find in the
webprotege/war/projectConfigurations/configuration.xml.

The configuration.xml file is the default layout for all projects. If
you want your own configuration for a project, load the project into
webprotege, login with your user name, close or add tabs and portlets,
and then click on "Save Layout". You will see that a new configuration
file is generated called:

configuration_YourProjectName_YourUserName.xml

This file stores the project config per project and user. If you want to
have a default project config for all users, then just rename

configuration_YourProjectName_YourUserName.xml

configuration_YourProjectName.xml

If you look inside the configuration xml files you will see that the
whole layout is described. For instance, you will see which portlets go
in which column of a tab, and any additional properties of the portlets.

There is a very powerful editing portlet, called the
PropertyFieldPortlet, that is not yet documented (lack of time), but it
is included in the distribution. This portlet allows you to edit the
values of an instance or class using forms (textfields, grids, etc.).
Unfortunately, you will need to configure the layout of this portlet by
hand in the xml file. There is an example config file in
war/projectConfigurations/ICD 1.5_No user.xml that you can use for
inspiration. We will document all this, once we get over some important
internal deadlines.

Now coming back to your question. I have just committed an enhancement
in SVN that allows you to specify in the project configuration file, the
instances of which class to show in the individuals list portlet.

You will need to edit the configuration file manually, and edit the
entries (example for Newspaper project and Article class):

<portlet>

<name>edu.stanford.bmir.protege.web.client.ui.ontology.individuals.IndividualsListPortlet</name>
            <height>0</height>
            <width>0</width>
            <properties>
                <entry>
                    <string>showOnlyClass</string>
                    <string>Article</string>
                </entry>
            </properties>
</portlet>

This enhancement is only in SVN, not in the current build. So, if you
need it, you will have to compile WebProtege yourself. It is not hard to
do, basically just run the ant file with the target "deploy" and it will
generate a new war file. But, first, you will need edit the
local.properties file with the paths on your computer.

Alternatively, you can use the Eclipse development guide that is still
work in progress, but it should work:
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/WebProtegeDevelopersGuide

You do not need to build WebProtege yourself, if you can wait until
we'll do the next release.

I'm coping this email on the mailing list, because it may be of interest
to others and we should continue the discussion there.

Tania