[protege-discussion] Ontology based applications!!

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 19 09:30:27 PDT 2009

> Thanks for your reply. This documentation is definitely helpful but
> i am interested in the implementation of ontology (developed in
> Protege 4.0) in a real-world application. Currently, I am using OWL
> API which behaves as a framework between application and the
> developed ontology. Can you please tell me about any tutorial which
> describes how an application can be implemented through OWL ontology
> (developed in Protege 4.0)...

So I didn't get this from your original post, but it sounds like you
are talking about an application which uses Protege 4 capabilities
(probably widgets) but which does not start anything that looks like
Protege.  Is your motivation to reuse some of the Protege 4 widgets in
your application which will have its own (non-Protege) branding?  What
are the requirements that you are trying to meet by using Protege 4?

If you are writing an application that uses Protege widgets but which
has its own branding, then, as far as I know, this has not been done
yet.  As was the case in Protege 3 based applications, it will
probably be simplest to start with a tab plugin and then work your way
to a Protege 4 based application

If this is what you are looking to do then we will probably need to
make some minor tweaks such as a system flag that suppresses the
Protege 4 welcome screen.  You will almost certainly have to work in
the OSGi environment.  For a new application this is not a problem but
if you are embedding your application inside an existing framework
then you will probably want to look at [1].

-Timothy

[1] http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/Embedding_OSGi