Search Mailing List Archives


Limit search to: Subject & Body Subject Author
Sort by: Reverse Sort
Limit to: All This Week Last Week This Month Last Month
Select Date Range     through    

[protege-discussion] C#, OWL & SAVE ISSUE!

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 20 13:25:34 PDT 2009


I am not expert on C#/Java integration but I do understand some things  
about Protege and Java.
> Here when everything got worse, I needed to transfer the new library  
> ( protégé-owl )  which contains the JenaOWLModel so I get the save  
> command while I should still keep working with the old one (Jena  
> Ontology) because the JenaOWLModel.save takes the OntModel as one of  
> it argurments to save the ontology...
>
If you get a Protege distribution then you should include the  
protege.jar and all the jars found in the  
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl plugin directory. In particular this  
includes the jena library.

> 2.       Import the Protégé-owl library and keep the old one; I am  
> getting coflict between the tow libraries.. (ex: Interface Statement  
> exists in both edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena  
> &com.hp.hpl.jena.ontology)

This is not a conflict.  If the package is different then they are  
different classes.  I don't know whether there will be any c#/Java  
integration problems with this.

> 3.       Work only with Protégé-owl library (this seems to be  
> perfect soultion, but unfortuantely I getting this error:
> org 
> .apache 
> .xerces 
> .parsers 
> .SAXParser 
> .<init>(Lorg.apache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration;)V
> Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of  
> the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more  
> information about the error and where it originated in the code.
>

You are missing the xml-apis.jar and xerces.jar files that can be  
found in the owl plugin directory of a distribution.

>  (I also tried protégé 4 API found in this page http://protege.stanford.edu/download/protege/4.0/zip/?C=N;O=D 
>  Is this what i need?!). I do the transfer using “ikvm-0.34.0.2”.
>

Protege 4 uses an entirely different owl api than Protege 3.

-Timothy


On Aug 20, 2009, at 12:48 AM, Alaa Tadmori wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am an asp.net developer; I have been trying to use the Jena  
> library to make a use of Semantic Web. As you know, Jena is Java  
> based (I don’t know much JavaL) so I tried to transfer the library  
> to C# to be able to work against it using asp.net. Everything was  
> going just fine, I was able to programmatically input the ontology,  
> add, edit & delete new classes & instances & query it. Almost in the  
> end, as expected, I needed a way to save the in-memory ontology I  
> have created or modified, I tried:
>
> ontModel.writeAll(outputStream, null, null) (with all its  
> vairations) But it didn’t work out.
>
> When I checked your mainling list I found that many people are  
> asking this question, like how to save the ontology or how to save  
> the inferred statements, the answer was to use
>
>  jenaOWLModel.save(…)
>
> Here when everything got worse, I needed to transfer the new library  
> ( protégé-owl )  which contains the JenaOWLModel so I get the save  
> command while I should still keep working with the old one (Jena  
> Ontology) because the JenaOWLModel.save takes the OntModel as one of  
> it argurments to save the ontology...
>
> The problem is that when I transfered both of the libraries and  
> imported them to Visual Studio they seem to conflict with each  
> other. To cut it short (I’m sorry that it is already long) these  
> were my unsuccessful solutions:
>
> 1.       Use ontModel.writeAll(…) Doesn’t save any new additions in  
> case I upload the ontology from a URI, it only writes the model  
> itself.
> 2.       Import the Protégé-owl library and keep the old one; I am  
> getting coflict between the tow libraries.. (ex: Interface Statement  
> exists in both edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.jena  
> &com.hp.hpl.jena.ontology)
>
>
> 3.       Work only with Protégé-owl library (this seems to be  
> perfect soultion, but unfortuantely I getting this error:
> org 
> .apache 
> .xerces 
> .parsers 
> .SAXParser 
> .<init>(Lorg.apache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration;)V
> Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of  
> the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more  
> information about the error and where it originated in the code.
>
> Exception Details: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:  
> org 
> .apache 
> .xerces 
> .parsers 
> .SAXParser 
> .<init>(Lorg.apache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration;)V
> Source Error:
> Line 23:     public static void GetModel(string filePath)
> Line 24:     {
> Line 25:             model = ModelFactory.createOntologyModel();
> Line 26:
> Line 27:             inputstream = FileManager.get().open(filePath);
> (This error drove me crazy, please Java foxes what is this:
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:  
> org 
> .apache 
> .xerces 
> .parsers 
> .SAXParser 
> .<init>(Lorg.apache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration;)V
>
>
> An important thing to mention is that I’m transferring the library  
> of Jena Ontology using the zip file that contains all the jar files  
> of the API but for the protégé-owl I coun’t find such a thing, I  
> transferred the library using the jar files I found in the  
> Protege_3.3.1\plugins folder (I also tried protégé 4 API found in  
> this page http://protege.stanford.edu/download/protege/4.0/zip/?C=N;O=D 
>  Is this what i need?!). I do the transfer using “ikvm-0.34.0.2”.
>
> So this is my problem which I’m trying to solve for over than 3  
> weaks, more than 7 hours a day. I hope you have a solution or any  
> recommendation on how to solve this tricky problem.
>
> I appreciate your patience, thank you so much for your cooperation.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> protege-discussion mailing list
> protege-discussion at lists.stanford.edu
> https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/protege-discussion
>
> Instructions for unsubscribing: http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/faq.html#01a.03




More information about the protege-discussion mailing list