[protege-discussion] Protege 3.3.1 DB Schema

Jennifer Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 23 17:49:31 PST 2009

Hello Dennis,

O'neill, Dennis wrote:
> However, the issue we are dealing with is that the one of the ontologies
> I currently have is too large for MS SharePoint to process efficiently
> as an XML import. For certain uses (SharePoint libraries), we only need
> a subset, and hence want to filter the entries before XML export/import.

You might consider modularizing your ontology.  There is a plug-in
called "PROMPT" that can (among other things) assist you in extracting
portions of your ontology:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/PROMPT

In Protege 3.3.1, the project inclusion mechanism was not supported for
ontologies stored in Protege's database back-end, but this is now
supported in Protege 3.4.

> Having looked at the DB that is generated, I can see how it is really an
> export of the Frame meta-database; but that is exactly the thing we want
> to decipher. If I understood the format, perhaps I could post-process it
> into a true ontology DB (tables for class instances, for example) that
> we could then do our queries over.

Perhaps writing an export plug-in for this task would work:

http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/pdk/plugins/export_plugin.html

Jennifer