[protege-discussion] Use of protégé to describe services and dependencies

Rafael Diaz Maurin rafael.diazmaurin at cru.fr
Wed Feb 25 03:10:13 PST 2009

Hello everybody,

I recently discovered protégé and the ontologies, and I would like to
build an ontolgy of the services which are running on a network, and the
dependencies between each other.

Example : The Service SYMPA (mailing-lists) of the machine 'aaaa'
depends on the instance of the service MySQL on the machine 'bbbb', the
instance of the service apache on the machine 'aaaa' and the service
sendmail of the machine 'cccc'.
Apache can be described like this : name, default configuration files,
default logs files.
And the instance of apache on the machine 'aaaa' can have differents
configuration and log files, name of administrators...

This could help me for example to construct graphs to find if there are
some Single Points Of Failure, if some services need to be highly
available on my network...

I have a few questions :

0/ Has someone has tried to describe such things with protégé and can
share some experience ?
1/ Do you think ontologies and protégé can help me to describe those
services and dependencies ?
2/ what is better for me to use : protégé-owl or protégé-frames ?

Thank you for everything,
Rafael