[protege-discussion] Memory problem?

Karin Verspoor Karin.Verspoor at ucdenver.edu
Wed Feb 25 10:30:30 PST 2009

Protege version: 3.3.1
Platform: Mac OSX

Several of my colleagues and I are experiencing a problem where if we
load a particular ontology that we are working on, the ontology loads
fine (no errors) but the Protege GUI begins to behave oddly -- the
menus disappear/reappear as we mouse over them, we can't access
particular menu items.  I went in to the properties and upped the Java
VM parameters to -Xmx2000M and if I watch top as I start up Protege I
see that Protege grows very rapidly to fill up the full 2GB in virtual
memory.  If I set that number higher, it clearly tries to take more
memory but is shut down by the OS (I only have 2GB of RAM on this
machine, so this makes sense) and crashes.

This ontology is very small (< 50 concepts) and I can't imagine for
the life of me why it would need so much memory.  So I think there
must be some sort of memory leak or perhaps a circular reference
(which I can't see).  Has anyone experienced this?  Any advice or
something I can look for?

Karin

--
Karin Verspoor, PhD