[protege-discussion] Use of protégé to describe services and dependencies

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Wed Feb 25 10:34:07 PST 2009

Hi Rafael,

You can definitely use Protege to capture these sorts of things.
I've been capturing these kinds of relationships and dependencies
between IT systems like you describe in your example for sometime now
and have found Protege to be ideal. I found that Protege Frames was
the best solution for what I have been doing - defining a meta model
to capture dependencies between business processes, applications,
information and technology artefacts in enterprise architectures and
then creating Instances of the Classes to build the model.

In fact, my colleagues and I are about to launch a free, open-source
Enterprise Architecture support toolset based on Protege. The core of
this is our Protege ontology which covers the full spectrum of
Enterprise Architecture elements and relationships.
The Technology and Application layers of our ontology - the Physical
Views in particular - cover the requirements that you describe in your
example.

The site isn't officially launched yet, but to find out more - and to
download our ontology  - have a look at http://www.enterprise-architecture.org

It's all free, and licensed under GNU GPL.

Let me know if you'd like to know more

Hope this helps

Regards

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Assess your EA maturity at:
depends on the instance of the service MySQL on the machine 'bbbb', the
instance of the service apache on the machine 'aaaa' and the service
sendmail of the machine 'cccc'.
Apache can be described like this : name, default configuration files,
default logs files.
And the instance of apache on the machine 'aaaa' can have differents
configuration and log files, name of administrators...

This could help me for example to construct graphs to find if there are
some Single Points Of Failure, if some services need to be highly
available on my network...

I have a few questions :

0/ Has someone has tried to describe such things with protégé and can
share some experience ?
1/ Do you think ontologies and protégé can help me to describe those
services and dependencies ?
2/ what is better for me to use : protégé-owl or protégé-frames ?

Thank you for everything,
Rafael