[protege-discussion] Memory problem?

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Wed Feb 25 13:42:53 PST 2009

Hi Karin,

Are you using the Mac look-and-feel or the default one? I've been
using the Mac look-and-feel for some time with no issues. I've not yet
had to up the memory and I've been using ontologies with 1000's of
instances.
Does it behave normally with other Protege projects - e.g. the
examples that are supplied with Protege?

I've seen Protege allocate memory like this when running as the
Protege Server in a multi-user set up on Windows but has been stable.

Are you seeing Java out of memory exceptions in the Protege logs or
the Mac console? If not, given the size of your ontology, I would
suggest returning the -Xmx setting back to something smaller, e.g. -
Xmx512m, so that Protege isn't taking all your memory.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jonathan
Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd