[protege-discussion] Mac Leopard / Prompt problem was Re: Memory problem?

Karin Verspoor Karin.Verspoor at ucdenver.edu
Wed Feb 25 15:28:28 PST 2009

We have tracked down this problem.  I'm posting again for the archives
in case anyone else runs across this.

Turns out there is a problem with the Mac look and feel on Leopard,
which gets triggered if your Protege project uses the Prompt plug-in.
This is manifested with the following exception:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at apple.laf.CUIAquaMenuPainter.paintMenuBarBackground
(CUIAquaMenuPainter.java:138)
	at apple.laf.CUIAquaMenu.paintBackground(CUIAquaMenu.java:57)
	at apple.laf.CUIAquaMenuPainter.paintMenuItem
(CUIAquaMenuPainter.java:191)
	at apple.laf.CUIAquaMenu.paintMenuItem(CUIAquaMenu.java:35)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.paint
(BasicMenuItemUI.java:514)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.update
(BasicMenuItemUI.java:510)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(JComponent.java:743)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1006)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(JComponent.java:843)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1015)
	at edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectMenuBar.paint(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(JComponent.java:4890)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(JComponent.java:4676)
	at javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions
(RepaintManager.java:477)
	at javax.swing.SystemEventQueueUtilities$ComponentWorkRequest.run
(SystemEventQueueUtilities.java:114)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy
(EventDispatchThread.java:269)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy
(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents
(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents
(EventDispatchThread.java:176)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

For now, for us, the solution is a workaround: remove the Prompt tab
from the project.  If we need to use Prompt, we'll run Protege on
another OS.

Karin

--
Karin Verspoor, PhD