[protege-discussion] populate ontology automatically

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Thu Feb 26 03:07:24 PST 2009

Hi,

I've done something like this but after trying a variety of approaches
and due to the need to map my source instances in one format to my
target ontology (with my own specific meta model) I found that the
easiest way was to build some software that writes Python scripts that
I run in the Script Console.

Prompt is excellent but for the volumes of instances I was importing
(1000's), it wasn't practical.
DataMaster is also excellent and if you can change the column names of
your source database to match your target classes then it does a nice
job. I found that what it did then was to create a sub-class under my
target class and import the instances into that subclass. This allows
you to explore them to make sure they've imported properly (or as you
expected) and then when you are happy with these instances, you can
assign them to your real class and remove the sub-class that
DataMaster created. You need a JDBC datasource for this to work.

The script approach isn't as difficult as you might think and because
it uses the API (rather than hacking the PINS file) it imports to
ontologies that are using the Protege Database backend and ensures
that all the great Protege stuff happens when you create/update
instances as it does when you use the GUI.

I'm working on making this more automated but right now, my
'integration server' processes source instance information from e.g.
XML, writes the import scripts and I then run them manually in the
Script Tab.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Regards

Jonathan