[protege-discussion] An instance as range of a property.

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Sun Jan 4 23:06:08 PST 2009

On Jan 1, 2009, at 8:17 AM, Niels Hoogeveen wrote:

> Thank you for your response.
>
> Which leaves me with the question, what is the appropriare way to
> model a class that has a relation to a particular instance. As for
> example the States of the US have with respect to the USA. There
> are properties that only apply to US states and not to any other
> subdivision of a country, making it impossible to model this in a
> more general way?

The proper way to model this is to create an anonymous class which is
defined to be the set consisting of a single individual.

You should be able to do this using the expression editor for the range.
This is the button with the "U" shaped union operator on it.

When it is open, you select the enumeration class type, which has
curly brackets "{}" on it.  And then put the individual(s) you want
in the enumeration definition inside the curly brackets.  You can
find them using the individual (diamond) button.

When you are don, you should have an expression that looks like

    {United_States_of_America}

in the editor.