[protege-discussion] WebProtege Question(s)

Jennifer Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 5 15:42:37 PST 2009

Hello Ron,

Ron Schultz wrote:

> I spent some time over the holidays adding in instance editing and
> instance creation into Web Protege, since my need only requires
> editing and creating instances of an already stable ontology. The Web
> Protege base code, after a few Guiness, became pretty straightforward
> to modify - albeit GWT does throw some twists. One question I have is
> the handling of slots having multiple values. I noticed that in
> WebProtege slots with multiple values just show as repeats of the slot
> name with each new value - which while it works is not very intuitive.
> I was wondering if the Protege team had yet come up with a user
> interface pattern or approach to address this issue? If not - then I
> will experiment on my own.

This is something we just haven't gotten to yet.  We anticipate that
development on WebProtege will become more responsive after we've done
the 3.4 release for Protege standalone.  We are maintaining a roadmap
for WebProtege development on our wiki.  There is a section where people
can add feature requests.  I added your request:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/WebProtegeRoadMap

> Also, is the design of WebProtege documented anywhere? I was
> considering running doxgen against it but was not sure if I was
> blazing down an already completed trail.

Not really.  We've put most of our documentation efforts so far into the
installation and run process (the admin's guide) and the developer's
guide so that developers can compile and run from IDEs.  We next want to
document the plug-in infrastructure as we hope people will take
advantage of the extensibility.  If you have more specific questions
about the design, we could answer them here on the discussion list.

Best,
Jennifer