[protege-discussion] WebProtege load failure

Jennifer Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 5 16:33:52 PST 2009

Lexing Xie wrote:
> Error symptom:
> WebProtege ontology list displays fine at an url looking like
> http://server.domain.com:8080/webprotege/WebProtege.html,
>       .. logging in seemed to work but there was no username displayed
> on the overview page.
> *but *individual ontology files refused to open, with an error box
> saying "load project Collaborative Pizza failed. message: the call
> failed on the server, see server log for details"
> enclosed  below are (1) server log message about "Exception while
> dispatching incoming RPC call"; (2) screenshot of the error box.
> I tried changing the project location to absolute paths in either or
> both copies of metaproject but did not help.

Please note that the metaproject must be identical in both places for
the WebProtege application to work properly.  If you make any changes to
the metaproject, you must restart the servlet container.

> System setup:
> - downloaded and installed copies of stand-alone full Protege (build
> 513) + webprotege.war (built Nov 26 16:00, w. Tomcat 5.5)
> - edited the metaproject, protege.properties etc according to the
> Protege Client-Server and the WebProtegeAdmin guides.
>
> Q1: could you see why there is an error?
> Q2: which copy of metaproject is read (in examples/server or  in
> Tomcat5.5/webapps/webprotege/projects/) ... should they be always kept
> identical? where is relative path example/* resolved ...

Both copies of the metaproject are read and must be kept identical.  The
location of your projects must be either a) absolute in both copies - or
- b) if they are relative paths, the paths should be relative to where
the Protege server is executing from (not WebProtege).

Please verify that both copies of the metaproject are identical and that
both copies list the location of your projects as absolute, or relative
to the Protege server installation.  Once you have done this, please
restart your servlet container.

This information is listed in the admin's guide in the following two
sections:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/WebProtegeAdminGuide#Configure_the_Protege_server.27s_metaproject
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/WebProtegeAdminGuide#Copy_the_metaproject_to_your_Servlet_container

... which you may find helpful for reference.

Jennifer