[protege-discussion] 2009 Protege Conference: Call for participation

Andrew Eliasz awe at ftt.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 01:05:54 PST 2009

Hi Samson,
I hope I am sending this email to the correct address.
I would very much like to participate in your conference.
I have "resurrected" a second PhD ... that I abandonned quite a few
years ago as the technology was not so advanced ...
The area of the thesis is concerned with reasoning about clinical
problems at various levels of detail.
At one level I am constructing Ontologies on
- Compartmental Modeling
- Acid Base and Electrolyte disorders
The original, and still , motivation for choosing this area to work on
was Patil's thesis in this same area of Clinical Chemistry / Pathology
If I manage to "put together" a suitable framework then the work can be
extended in many interesting directions ...
The other aspect of the research is to develop a system that has the
abilitiy to reason and explain its reasoning at various levels of detail.
One of the problems with Patil's work on ABEL is that the knowledge base
he created is not available in "some kind of" portable format ... [ in
fact it does not seem to be available at all apart from some example
fragments in his thesis ] so that others can then use it as a starting
point for their own work.
A sub-plot to the research is oriented more towards a "data structures"
and "algorithms" approach ...
Here again Patil's work does not provide a structured software approach
.. and this is quite frustrating when trying to recreate some of his
examples.
Let me know if there is anything of merit here that might be of interest
to attendees at the conference.
It goes without saying that I am using Protege ... :-) !!
br
Andrew Eliasz
p.s. Tony Hirst is my thesis supervisor at the OU ( Open University in
the UK )