[protege-discussion] Help required on ontology project.

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Sat Jan 10 03:35:12 PST 2009

Hi Rishi,

I might be missing something but if you've already developed your
ontology and have simply moved it to have a database back-end you just
proceed as before in terms of creating and manipulating instances -
via the Protege user interface.
By converting your project to use a MySQL backend, all you have done
is change how your ontology is stored. The database certainly makes a
lot of sense if you are using Protege in a multi user environment or
your ontology has got very large (e.g. thousands of instances).

If your question is about how you interrogate the database that your
ontology is now using, I would suggest that you do NOT interrogate it
directly. I haven't moved to version 3.4 yet and I think things have
changed a bit since the 3.3.1 that I am using but the database table
(note, singular) for the ontology is really what you could call a meta-
meta-model. It's a single table with about 8-10 columns. And it works
very well. However, you can't really make much sense of it without
Protege.
If you want to interrogate your ontology, the best way forward depends
on what you need to do. For example, I am exporting my ontology as XML
to a reporting environment and interrogate that XML using XSLT, Java
etc. Sometimes, I Protege either to explore the ontology or use the
Query tab to find things. If what you're after is having some kind of
external (to Protege) system interrogate your ontology (and I believe
that I've seen an example somewhere where a GIS application was using
Protege as the database) then you can connect to Protege running in
server mode and interact with it via the API that is published from
the Protege site. There are some tutorials about this in the wiki, but
basically you create a Java client program that connects to the
Protege knowledge base over the network, using RMI. Then you can
programmatically interrogate the knowledge base via the Java API.

In terms of getting new things into your ontology from outside
systems, I have had a lot of success using the Script Tab to run
Python scripts that use the Java API to effectively automate what you
would be doing via the GUI. I have used XSLT files to write the Python
scripts automatically when parsing the external source data to be
"imported". Attempting to by-pass the top-level API of Protege for
interacting with the knowledge base is a recipe for trouble.

I'm aware that this might not directly answer your immediate issues
but I think it's important to understand how things work in Protege to
avoid going down a route that was never intended with it.

Let me know if I can help further

Regards

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd