[protege-discussion] Problem installing and running 3.4.1 (537) in Ubuntu 9.04

adam at wyner.info adam at wyner.info
Sun Jul 5 01:38:05 PDT 2009

Hi,

I've installed and tried to run Protege 3.4.1 (build 537) including
Java VM for Linux.  I have Ubuntu 9.04, recently installed and
updated.  I can download and install Protege fine.  But, then running
it stalls or some of the windows are blank.

As the following shows, at EZPal Tab, Protege hangs.  What I see on my
screen are two windows -- Protege 3.4.1 which contains Welcome to
Protege.  Both of these screens are blank.  In particular, there is no
menu for Welcome to Protege.

If I click double click on the Welcome to Protege window, it will
progress as if the menu were visible to me.  So, now it continues as
if I selected the Pizza example (which I did not since I could not see
the menu).

     Completed triple loading after 1754 ms
Importing http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/protege from location:
/home/john12/Protege_3.4.1/plugins/edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl/protege.owl
     Completed triple loading after 48 ms
Postprocess: Process entities with incorrect Java type (0 entities) ... 1 ms
Postprocess: Process metaclasses (3 metaclasses) ... 1 ms
Postprocess: Process subclasses of rdf:List (1 classes) ... 0 ms
Postprocess: Instances with multiple types (122 instances) ... 28 ms
Postprocess: Add inferred superclasses ... 22 ms
Postprocess: Process orphan classes (97 classes) ... 20 ms
Postprocess: Generalized Concept Inclusion (0 axioms) ... 0 ms
Postprocess: Abstract classes... 0 ms
Postprocess: Domain and range of properties... 6 ms
Postprocess: Possibly typed entities (0 resources) ... 0 ms
Updating underlying frames model in 0 ms
Protege Wizards v1.0 beta build 15
Loaded OWL wizards library
Load time for
file:/home/john12/Protege_3.4.1/examples/pizza/pizza.owl.pprj = 5 sec
(project) + 7 sec (ui)

Now all I see is the Protege window with the banner across the top
that says I've opened the pizza.owl.pprj.  The rest of the window is
blank and there are no menus.  In some locations, double clicking will
get some response, but mostly not.

That is as far as it goes.  Then I shut down.

I have also had problems trying to get collaborative protege running
on my machine.  Anyone else having problems getting this running?  I
will detail this in a separate note.

Finally, on another machine with Ubuntu 8.10, I had a problem
UNINSTALLING a previous build of Protege 3.4.1 -- the uninstaller did
not run.  Other versions/builds of Protege ran the uninstaller just
fine.  Eventually, I just deleted the folder and reinstalled (current,
buggy) build 537.  Would there be any problems with having just
deleted the folder rather than run the uninstaller.  Installing the
latest Protege build 537 has the same problems as above.

Thanks,
Adam Wyner