[protege-discussion] Problem installing and running 3.4.1 (537) in Ubuntu 9.04

Adam Wyner adam at wyner.info
Mon Jul 6 12:12:47 PDT 2009

 <adam <at> wyner.info> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed and tried to run Protege 3.4.1 (build 537) including
> Java VM for Linux.  I have Ubuntu 9.04, recently installed and
> updated.  I can download and install Protege fine.  But, then running
> it stalls or some of the windows are blank.

Hi Adam,

Let me answer my own question.  A previous post in the list suggested a
modification to the .bashrc file.  That didn't work.  Poking around in the
searches with blank screen ubuntu there was a suggestion to turn effects off.  I
did that and it worked:

System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects > None

Now I can see the windows that were blank before.  So, now I get Protege, but
the cost (no Visual Effects) is pretty high.  Sigh....

Adam