[protege-discussion] Collaborative Protege server set up solved (?)

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Sun Jul 26 22:47:22 PDT 2009

> HOSTNAME_PARAM=-Djava.rmi.server.hostname=192.168.2.2

This is guaranteed not to work outside your LAN.  The reason is that,
if a client successfully connects to the rmiregistry then the client
will be told that the server can be found at 192.168.2.2 port 5300.
This address makes  no sense on the internet and the connection will
lose.

You should know that it is quite possible that you will not be able to
get the server working on both the lan and outside the lan at the same
time.  One way that you could succeed would be  to use a name rather
than an ip  address for the server.  Then you can use dns so that on
the internet the address is 91.85.212.181 and on the lan the address
is 192.168.2.2.  In other words, if the name

	myserver.uva.nl

resolves to 91.85.212.181 on the internet but to 192.168.2.2 on the
lan then the hostname parameter

            -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=myserver.uva.nl

will work both  on the lan and on the internet.

> The instructions for connecting to the server are clear either
> localhost (if on the machine where the server is installed) or the
> DNS name.  The IP Address is not sufficient and will not connect to
> the server.

I don't know what this means. You can use either a name for the host
or an ip address.

I have drawn a diagram of how I think your network looks like below.
Note that the telnet test to 91.85.212.181 needs to be done outside
the lan.

-TImothy