[protege-discussion] please help a poor, lost newbie

Olivier Dameron olivier.dameron at univ-rennes1.fr
Tue Jul 28 01:00:17 PDT 2009

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:33:19 -0500, Michael Rusch <mcrusch at wisc.edu>
wrote:

>  guess my question is:
> 1. Can anybody make suggestions as to how I would want to use the
> various tools to be able to achieve this kind of functionality?

If all the information you need is "already there" explicitely in your
ontology (i.e. you do not have necessary and sufficient definition for
example), a first solution would be to use the protege api or the
protege-owl api. The second solution would be to represent your
ontology in owl and use sparql for your queries (again, provided you
only need simple querying with no reasoning). The third solution would
be to represent your ontology in owl again, and to use a reasoner if
you need more advanced features (and some of the owl peculiarities
such as the open world assumption do not get in your way).

According to your description, my guess would be solution 2.

Also, with solution 2 and solution 3, you can use protégé-owl as you
editor and as a tool for debugging (like working out your sparql
queries or your classification), and then use another smaller library
in your final application

cheers
olivier