[protege-discussion] Can't connect to Protege 3.3.1 server using localhost or remote

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 30 11:05:12 PDT 2009

First of all, make sure that you are connecting to the server with the
same version of Protege that the server is running.

You can rule out any possibility of firewall problems with telnet. On
the machine where the client is running you can telnet to the server
machine with

	telnet server-machine-ip-or-name rmi-port-number

(I am not sure of the exact command on windows but telnet is there
also).  You should see a Connect message. If you haven't set it the
default rmi port is 1099.  You can also test the Protege server port
but in order to do this you will need to fix the server port with a
jvm option like the following

  	-Dprotege.rmi.server.port=5200

Unfortunately once you have ruled this out it gets a bit harder.  This
generic error message can actually mean several things.  Look on the
console (client and server) for any additional error or other messages.

I figure that you have some requirement forcing you to use 3.3.1.  But
it will be easier to debug with 3.4.1 because (1) the developers willl
be more familiar with 3.4.1 and can give more detailed help and (2) we
know that debugging the initial connection to the server can be hard
and have been work on figuring out how to help the user debug these
cases.

-Timothy