[protege-discussion] FW: Ontology using mysql

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Tue Jun 23 10:57:15 PDT 2009

I assume that you are interested in querying the MySQL database
directly, rather than just looking for the database to provide the
persistence for your ontology?

Just to cover off the simpler scenario, Protege can use MySQL (or any
JDBC database) to store your ontology rather than the project files. I
should point out that my experience is mostly with Protege Frames (for
which this is the discussion mail group) and Protege OWL could vary
slightly.
To use what's called the "database backend" you simply create a user
for Protege in MySQL, an empty database for which the Protege user has
full rights, and then use the File->Convert Project To... and select
the Protege Database option. Complete the form with the details of the
username, password, database name etc. and Protege will create a
single table in which the entire knowledge base is written into.
This works very well - particularly for large ontologies but querying
that table using SQL is not straightforward as the contents are really
in terms of Protege's own meta-meta model. There are some threads and
I believe some documentation on the wiki about querying this, though.

Taking the other scenario, if you already have many (or all!) of your
classes and instances defined in a MySQL database, you can try using
the DataMaster tab to convert that database into a Protege Ontology.
This works very well, and will be very straight-forward if your
Protege ontology is empty.
If you are looking to import ontology information into an existing
ontology in Protege (i.e. import more classes or more instances that
you have captured in MySQL) then you can still use DataMaster to bring
them in but you will have to do some work with the imported instances
to move them into the existing classes that you have as required.

Hope this helps

Regards

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd

Proud sponsors of The Essential Project.
www.enterprise-architecture.org