[protege-discussion] ClassLoader

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 9 11:11:48 PDT 2009

It does use a special class loader [1].  But actually this is not too
exciting - it is really mostly a URLClassLoader with the right
classpath.  What is more interesting is how the class loaders are
connected together to reflect the plugin hierarchy.

But I suspect I need to know more about what you really want from this
classloader in order to give a better answer.  If you want the plugin
class loader mechanism, there are several tools that utilize some such
mechanism (most web containers - tomcat, jboss,...).  Perhaps you should
consider looking as OSGi which is being used to manage plugins in
Protege 4.

-Timothy

[1] http://smi-protege/repos/protege/protege-
core/trunk/src/edu/stanford/smi/protege/util/DirectoryClassLoader.java
[2] http://www.osgi.org/Main/HomePage