[protege-discussion] Protege 3.4 OWL to RDF error

Manolis Platakis platakis at di.uoa.gr
Fri May 8 16:54:57 PDT 2009

Tania Tudorache wrote:
> OK, I understand. I thought you are trying to convert a frames ontology
> to RDF. We have a different mailing list, protege-owl, for asking
> Protege-OWL questions.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

> Yes, that conversion never worked.
>
> So, if you have an OWL file, it is already in RDF format :)
>
> If you want to make it "pure" RDF, here are some steps that you can do:

Yeah, I was talking about purity :-)

> - Project -> Configure -> Options -> Display Hidden Frames
> - Project  -> Configure -> Enable the ClsesTab
> - In the ClsesTab, select all top-level classes, right click and select
> from the context menu: "Change metaclass", then select rdfs:Class
> - In the ClsesTab, select each top-level class, right click and select
> "Change Metaclass of Subclasses" and then OK.
>
> There are also ways of doing this using a script in the Protege Script
> Console, or by writing a small Java program.
>
> For the properties you would do the same. You should change their
> metaclass to rdf:Property.

I will follow your advice. Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Manolis

> Tania
>

> Manolis Platakis wrote:
>> Tania Tudorache wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure why you get the exception.
>>>
>>> You should try either: File -> Export -> OWL  (with native and without
>>> native writer).
>>>
>>> Or, you can choose, File -> Convert Project to Format -> RDF Files
>>>

>> This is the choice that I made; sorry for not making it clear. I have an
>> OWL ontology and I only want to keep the RDF/RDF(S) data so I tried to
>> convert it to RDF Files and got the exception. A co-worker of mine faced
>> the same error with Protege 3.4 with a different ontology in a different PC.
>>
>> Thanks Tania!
>>
>> Manolis
>>

>>> (not OWL/RDF File). This will generate two files: rdf and rdfs. If you
>>> only want one file, you can copy the content of one into the other.
>>>
>>> Tania

Manolis Platakis, Postgraduate Student & Research Associate
Department of Informatics and Telecommunications
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
http://cgi.di.uoa.gr/~platakis/