[protege-discussion] Newbie type question

Cabus, Michael CabusM at philau.edu
Mon May 18 11:24:10 PDT 2009

Hello
   First off, many apologies if this information is easily found on the Protege Web page, and I simply can't find it; also if the questions I have seem to imply a misunderstanding of the system.

I am a graduate student making an ontology for a course I am taking.  I have been through the tutorial, and read the Ontology 101 documentation, as well as several other resources to prepare me (including documents on RDF and DAML+OIL).

I am now ready to start making this ontology...

My questions are, when I use Protege to make my ontology:

1.) Can the ontology be shared with my professor in some format, without him having to install the software;
2.) and, relatedly, can the ontology be converted to RDF or HTML, or another format.

My project is database oriented, and I am just now learning how the ontology schema can be represented in a database.  I read on the Protege page that the software works with Oracle and Access, but I am not sure how.  Right now, I think I have to use Protege and then, simultaneously, create the RDF schema in a text editor, which doesn't seem quite right...

Thank you for your patience with someone just starting--Drexel often has terms of discontent, as we have 10 weeks to learn a universe of topics (my course, just one course mind you, is covering: data warehousing; PL/SQL; data analysis software like ProCube and Targit; and, a project; plus, I am taking another course!).

>From an excited, but overwhelmed student,

Michael Cabus