[protege-discussion] Newbie type question

Jennifer Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Tue May 19 15:30:38 PDT 2009

Hello Michael,

Cabus, Michael wrote:
> My questions are, when I use Protege to make my ontology:
>
> 1.) Can the ontology be shared with my professor in some format, without him having to install the software;

Are you using Protege-Frames or Protege-OWL?  For Frames, you could
choose File | Export to Format... and export your ontology to HTML.  For
OWL, you could choose Tools | Generate OWLDoc...  Either way, you will
get a set of HTML pages that your professor could use to browse the
ontology without installing Protege.

> 2.) and, relatedly, can the ontology be converted to RDF or HTML, or another format.

See above for HTML conversion.  For RDF, you can use the File | Convert
Project to Format... menu item and choose your preferred format.

> My project is database oriented, and I am just now learning how the ontology schema can be represented in a database.  I read on the Protege page that the software works with Oracle and Access, but I am not sure how.  Right now, I think I have to use Protege and then, simultaneously, create the RDF schema in a text editor, which doesn't seem quite right...

You can choose File | Convert Project to Format... and choose Protege
Database (for Frames) or OWL / RDF Database (for OWL) and Protege will
store your ontology in a database.  There are detailed instructions for
doing this on our wiki:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/PrF_UG_files_database_backend

This may or may not be what you want.  There is a design document you
might find helpful for Protege's database back-end:

http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/design/jdbc_backend.html

Jennifer