[protege-discussion] installation problem, cannot load the list of ontologies, cannot login

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Thu May 21 18:28:06 PDT 2009

Michal,

I'm developing WebProtege using also Ubuntu and Tomcat 5.5 and there is
no problem with the configuration, it runs well.

It seems that this is a file access problem. The log kind of already
says what the problem is:

"INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already.  Could not load logging.properties..."

Looks like tomcat tries to load the logging.properties from:
/var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/webprotege/WEB-INF/classes/logging.properties

I am not sure why it tries to load it from the classes folder..

I'm not an expert in tomcat, but it seems that you need to configure the
tomcat policy file. Here is the solution for a similar case:

http://aleph-null.tv/article/20080327-0118-335.xml/Tomcat-5.5-On-Debian:-AccessControlException-for-logging.properties

Another thing that was suspicious in one of your log files was:

May 19, 2009 7:37:45 PM
edu.stanford.bmir.protege.web.server.ProjectManager getServer
SEVERE: Could not connect to server: localhost

This means that you did not start the Protege server, or that WebProtege
could not connect to it. Make sure that the Protege server is running,
and that you can connect to it from the Protege rich client, using u/p:
webprotege/webprotege

If you still have problems, please send also the protege.log files from
tomcat/logs.

I hope that the tomcat policy file will fix the problem.

Tania