[protege-discussion] Query about the "subPropertyOf" axoim

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Tue May 26 10:55:51 PDT 2009

On May 24, 2009, at 5:43 AM, andygui wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I have data like this:
>
>       hasUncle subPropertyOf hasRelative
>       Man(p1)
>       Man(p2)
>       hasUncle(p1,p2)
>
> and, I'm trying to use sparql in Protege3.4 to query like this:
>

>       PREFIX family:<http://www.owl-ontologies.com/Ontology1242525585.owl#
> >

>       SELECT ?person
>       WHERE { family:p1 family:hasRelative ?person.}
>
> but, it just returns "no matches found"
>
> Could you please help me?

SPARQL doesn't understand OWL or RDF semantics.  So it isn't quite the
right tool to use for this task.

You could write a SPARQL query that included the semantics of the
subPropertyOf axiom and get an answer.

It may also be possible to run a reasoner and save the results, but I
don't know if the reasoners will actually realize the additional
assertions implied by subPropertyOf or not.  If they don't actually
add them to the asserted knowledge, then this won't help you.